A Brief History

church historyOur Early Roots:

The Georgetown Church of Christ is one of more than 10,000 congregations

identified with a movement known as the "Restoration Movement". Leaders of this movement, early in the 19th century, surveyed the religious situation in America and were disturbed in finding a fragmented church, each segment claiming to represent Christ. They saw the question of authority at the heart of a divided church. Over the years many man-made traditions, interpretations and practices had been added to the doctrine and worship of the church. The answer to the problem, as they saw it, was to RESTORE the authority of Christ and His apostles for the faith and practice of the Christian church.

Our Aim:

There is only one Church of which Jesus is the Head. His church, according to the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 4, has "one Lord, one faith and one baptism". Thus, the movement to restore the church is also a movement to unite the church on the basis of its God-given fundamentals. "We are not the only Christians, but we seek to be Christians only". We invite all who love the Lord Jesus Christ to join forces with us here in proclaiming the good news of salvation to all who will listen.

Our Name:

As individuals, we use the name "Christian", preferring to wear the name of Christ (Acts 11:26). We belong to Him and wear His name even as a wife belongs to her husband and wears his name. The name CHURCH OF CHRIST stresses our relation to Jesus Christ and brings Him honor.

Our Georgetown History:

The Georgetown Church of Christ family began with a vision to reach those beyond ourselves. Dating back to the early 1800's when Matthew Gardner came to Georgetown and began preaching about Jesus Christ, the church has continued to grow and change over its many years. Various church buildings were built as the congregation grew. Believing that the Bible is its sole rule of faith, the simple gospel message of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ was continually shared. For many years the church building was located in the heart of Georgetown on Main Street, yet when the attendance grew, the need for a new location was clearly seen. The move to the Hamer Road location was made in 1991, allowing the church to continue its wonderful growth. In 2004, a 50,000 square foot addition was completed, once again making room for more. From the early 1800's to the 21st century, the message of Jesus Christ has remained the same. The methods of sharing the good news have drastically changed but the truth has remained the same. Only God knows what is in store for the Georgetown Church of Christ. Hopefully you'll be a part of its future!

© 2018 Georgetown Church of Christ